MarineMap is a web-based interactive decision support system (DSS) that allows users to
- visualize ecological, geographic, and socioeconomic data on a map
- draw prospective marine protected areas (MPAs) on the map as official, alternative scenarios or proposals to the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) process in California
- immediately receive an analytical summary of key habitats and species that would be protected
MarineMap includes tools for predicting the economic impacts of the different MPA proposals and for selecting sites that will produce benefits for conservation while minimizing impacts to fisheries. MarineMap enables people to share their proposals for marine protected areas and to submit them for consideration by government officials.
MarineMap was created to support the implementation of the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) in California. MarineMap was used first along the southern section of the California coast and subsequently along the northern section.
- The Nature Conservancy
- University of California Santa Barbara
- Marine Life Protection Act Initiative